Automotive 11 Self Test
Instructions to student:
- Put your name and block on a separate sheet of paper (you may print the worksheet version of the self test)
- Answer all questions in short sentences.
- Answers to the questions in Part 1 may be found by browsing the "More Stuff" links.
- Answers to the questions in Part 2 may be found in Module 1.
- Answers to the questions in Part 3 may be found in Module 2.
- Hand in your self test to the teacher when you are done.
Worksheet Version of Self Test - MS Word format
Worksheet Version of Self Test - PDF formatPart 1
- Since the actual brakes require a much greater force than you could apply with your leg, your car must also multiply the force of your foot. It does this in two ways. Name them.
- What is the most common type of disc brake system on modern cars?
- Why is it important that the brake pads remain in very close contact with the brake rotor?
- List two advantages and two disadvantages of drum brakes.
- Describe the self-actuating action of drum brakes.
- Why is a brake system broken into two independent circuits?
- The combination valve does the job of three separate devices. What are these devices?
- What is the difference between DOT3, DOT4 and DOT5 brake fluid?
- What is the most important characteristic of brake flud? Why?
- What is the basic premise or theory behind anti-lock brakes?
- Brakes can be divided into two basic systems. They are __________ and __________. Describe them.
- In a drum brake system, the brake shoe facing the front of the vehicle is called the _________ shoe or __________ shoe.
- The shoe that is facing the rear of the vehicle is called the _________ shoe or the _________ shoe.
- Describe the operation of Duo Servo drum brakes.
- Disc brakes are categorized according to the style of application. There are two categories. Name them.
- The purpose of the control valve is to __________ the pressures created by the master cylinder.
- Brake lines are always constructed of __________ __________ __________.
- What is the main advantage of using a dual tandem master cylinder?
- The __________ ___________ provides balanced braking on vehicles using front disc and rear drum brakes.
- What is the purpose of the residual pressure valve? Which circuit is it typically located in? Why?