Advanced Automotive 12 Self Test
Instructions to student:
- Put your name and block on a separate sheet of paper.
- Answer all questions in short sentences.
- Answers to the questions in Part 1 may be found by browsing the "More Stuff" links
- Answers to the questions in Part 2 may be found in Module 1.
- Answers to the questions in Part 3 may be found in Module 2.
Worksheet Version of Self Test - MS Word format
Worksheet Version of Self Test - PDF FormatPart 1
- What is the primary job of the automatic transmission?
- Name the three components of a planetary gear set.
- Each of these three components can be the __________, the __________ or can be held __________.
- Name a disadvantage of a torque converter when compared to a clutch of a manual transmission.
- When you place your vehicle in park, the park brake mechanism engages the __________________ to hold the car still.
- What is the purpose of the governor and modulator in an automatic transmission?
- "The __________ __________ is a complex maze of passages and tubes that sends ________ _________ under pressure to all parts of the transmission and __________ __________."
- "The torque converter incorporates one major change from the fluid coupling: a third element, the _________ is designed into the unit."
- The torque converter output shaft connects to the __________. The flywheel connects to the _________ and to the torque converter __________. The torque converter _________ is fixed to the housing.
- Inside the torque converter are several components that help multiply the power. These are the __________ or _________, the __________, and the __________.Part 2
- List four advantages of planetary gear sets.
- Based on the number of gear teeth, the _________ gear is considered the smallest gear. The _________ gear is considered the second largest. And finally the __________ carrier is considered the largest gear.
- Quite simply, the ___________ component of the planetary gear set is connected to the wheels through the transmission output shaft. The ___________ component of the planetary gear set is driven by the engine. The ___________ component of the planetary gear set is held by a holding device inside the automatic transmisison.
- In overdrive 2 - moderate overdrive, the __________ gear is driven by the engine. The __________ gear is connected to the wheels. The ____________ gear is held stationary.
- In reverse 1- reduction reverse, the __________ gear is driven by the engine. The __________ gear is connected to the wheels. The ____________ gear is held stationary.
- Name the three apply / hold devices used in an automatic transmission.
- The only purpose of an automatic transmission brake band is to hold a component stationary because ____________________________________________________________________
- Which planetary gear would the brake band hold stationary in reverse gear?
- Clutch packs can perform one additional function that a brake band cannot, what is it?
- In first gear, the sun gear of an automatic transmission is the input gear. When the transmission automatically shifts into second gear, the sun gear must now be held. Describe how this is accomplished.